Looking for more information about New Orleans weather in December? If so, keep reading!
If you’re planning a trip to New Orleans in December, you might be looking for some information about New Orleans weather in December! If so, you’ve come to the right place! You’ll find all the information you need about New Orleans weather in December, in this article!
New Orleans is a really popular destination in December. The festive celebrations always draw in plenty of visitors, and then NYE at the end of the month always fills up hotel rooms and bars alike! But what’s New Orleans weather in December like? And what should you pack for a trip to New Orleans in December?
Here we’ll discuss everything related to New Orleans weather in December, including our recommendations on whether it’s worth it… Or not!
New Orleans weather in December – the lowdown!
First of all, let’s give you a little lowdown on what New Orleans weather in December is like, and what you should expect. We won’t go into detail here (that’s a bit further down in this article) but the bullet points below should give you a rough idea of what New Orleans weather in December is like.
So let’s get started!
- New Orleans weather in December is the coldest of all 12 months. But this doesn’t mean it’s freezing – it’s still quite mild and pleasant compared to many of the northern states.
- New Orleans weather is December is great weather for walking around, enjoying the city and being outdoors – but not warm enough for sunbathing!
- New Orleans weather in December is cooler in the evenings, so make sure to pack a few layers!
- The temperatures are cooler, but there is still only around 6 days of rain across the month. Which isn’t too bad! You can probably leave your umbrella at home.
New Orleans weather in December averages!
Let’s talk about the New Orleans weather in December averages. Taking a look at the average temperatures, rainfall, humidity, etc – can be a great way to see whether New Orleans weather in December is for you.
Of course, the weather isn’t everything when you visit a city, but pleasant (or reliable) weather can make planning things so much easier! Take a look at the New Orleans weather in December averages below, to get an idea of what to expect. Let’s talk averages!
New Orleans weather in December (highest average temp): 64°F (18°C)
New Orleans weather in December (lowest average temp): 48°F (9°C)
Sunshine hours per day: 6 hours
Average rainy days: 6 days
Is December a good time to visit New Orleans?
Now you know what to expect from the New Orleans weather in December, it’s time to talk about everything else! Is December a good time to visit New Orleans?
The answer? YES! December is a fantastic time to visit New Orleans – and the New Orleans weather in December is one of the key reasons for this! The New Orleans weather in December is generally pretty predictable, quite dry (little rain) and also mild and temperature compared to many other major cities in the USA during the peak of winter.
But it’s not all about the New Orleans weather in December! New Orleans comes alive in December with festive celebrations, festive decor, Christmas events, and then (later in the month) NYE parties and festivals. It’s a lot of fun, and there’s nowhere quite like New Orleans in December!
Festive events you’ll want to check out in New Orleans in December:
- Celebration in the Oaks: An annual holiday attraction in New Orleans, it’s a great big light show!
- Bonfires On The Levee: A Cajun tradition, that happens on Christmas Eve.
- City festive decor: The whole city will be ‘dressed up’ for the festive season once Thanksgiving is over.
Also – don’t forget to explore some of the New Orleans suburbs! The local residents go all-out with their festive decorations and it’s great fun exploring the local neighborhoods and admiring all the effort!
Is December an expensive time to visit New Orleans?
Surprisingly, December isn’t the most expensive month to visit the city!
Maybe this has a little to do with the New Orleans weather in December (it might not be warm enough for some!) mainly the quieter season in December, is because most people visit New Orleans in February and March for Mardis Gras.
Obviously, flights and hotel rates in the city will spike around December 25th (Christmas) and December 31st (NYE) but that’s normal for any city during this time of the year.
However, if you plan on visiting New Orleans in early and mid-December, you can probably grab some pretty good rates and save some money! Whilst still experiencing all the amazing festive activities and decor in the city! December is a great time to visit for this exact reason! The hotels and flights are cheaper, there are fewer crowds, and the New Orleans weather in December is still pretty mild and pleasant to most people!
Visiting New Orleans in December is a good idea if…
- You’re on a budget (airfares and hotel prices in New Orleans are lower in December!)
- You’d like to explore New Orleans with fewer crowds
- The New Orleans weather in December doesn’t both you, and you don’t mind slightly cooler temperatures.
- You’d love to see New Orleans during the festive season
Visiting New Orleans in December is a bad idea if…
- You want to experience the busy and lively ‘New Orleans’ that is seen during peak season (Mardi-Gras)
- You prefer warmer temperatures
- You prefer a snowy Christmas (it doesn’t snow very often in New Orleans)
- The New Orleans weather in December might be too cold for you (or not warm enough)
Hopefully we’ve answered all your question about New Orleans weather in December!
As you can see, December is a great time to visit New Orleans! And the New Orleans weather in December is pleasant and mild. It might not be sunbathing weather, but it’s great weather for exploring this amazing city! And New Orleans weather in December is a lot warmer than most states during the peak of winter!